How to Negotiate Your Salary in 10 Simple Steps
Congrats, you got the job! But will you get the salary you want? Our friends at NextGeneration have come up with ten handy tips to negotiate your new salary properly.
- Do not start talking money early on in the interview process, save it for the very end when you know they want you (which puts you in a stronger position)
- Be prepared for the question about remuneration and know what to say when it comes up, or at least how to deflect it
- Do not be afraid to reverse that question and ask about the salary range for the position
- Ask them how much they would pay the best candidate - this will give you a ball park figure
- Do talk about the whole package you want, not just the cash - think company car, pension, interest free loans, bonuses and so forth
- Do check salary comparison sites such as Emolument to make sure you get a fair offer in the end
Should you make more? See how you compare now
Emolument provides bonus and salary statistics based on data submitted directly by professionals like you. It is free, anonymous, and already a trusted tool for thousands of professionals worldwide. Are you paid enough? Click here to find out now.
Are you an employer?
Hire and retain the best talent with accurate and reliable dataBenchmark Your Teams
Know what you're worth
Compare your compensation with peers in your industry